[e2e] Reordering in routers

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Aug 8 16:53:05 PDT 2003

Exactly right, in fact single-chip network processors from most all the
vendors have internal hardware (e.g., CAMs) simply to prevent pkts from being
released before all prior ones that arrived via the same input path.  However,
since an input path is typically a channel on an interface, such as SPIx and
multiple interfaces exist on NPUs, there may be instances of pkts that
traversed different upstream paths getting reordered at a given processor that
can't know better.

Alex