[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Aug 8 20:36:04 PDT 2003

Well, there was really nothing relating the Arpanet gang and the folks, like
Englebart, who invented mice, hypertext and collaborative computer workgroups
via video networking in the '50s & '60s and the foundation of corporate, local
networks, workstations, shared server-based printing and other behaviors in
the '70s at Xerox.  It's particularly funny that any link would be attempted,
since the Arpanet and all the protocols mentioned were limited to a byte
orientation because of what the phone co (AT&T) did in Unix and how the
Internet began as a terminal-to-host system.

On URLs, it's also funny that because a publicly-funded paved road existed
(the Internet) that physics researchers in another country, not any Inet
folks, would develop the application and concepts that have actrually made the
Internet useful to all.  Culturally, that lack of imagination is what we learn
to expect from sheltered bureaucracies, of course.

Effective URLs pre-existed as well, which you can discover in a variety of
settings in client-server protocol software delivered by the major vendors to
corporate clients prior to our current era -- The Internet Years.  :]

Alex