[e2e] Nature mag, DARPA, and the Internet

John Day day at std.com
Sat Aug 9 06:19:54 PDT 2003

At 20:36 -0700 8/8/03, Cannara wrote:
>Well, there was really nothing relating the Arpanet gang and the folks, like
>Englebart, who invented mice, hypertext and collaborative computer workgroups
>via video networking in the '50s & '60s and the foundation of corporate, local
>networks, workstations, shared server-based printing and other behaviors in
>the '70s at Xerox.  It's particularly funny that any link would be attempted,
>since the Arpanet and all the protocols mentioned were limited to a byte
>orientation because of what the phone co (AT&T) did in Unix and how the
>Internet began as a terminal-to-host system.

Actually it is pretty funny that you would draw this conclusion,
since the Englebart group was an integral part of the early ARPANet
group.  We used NLS over the Net.  Not only was their an interface
for remote use by dumb terminals called TNLS, but the SRI group also
ported what would be called the client side on NLS to an early
graphics workstation in 1970, which operated over the ARPANet.  The
ARC group was the first NIC.  Many of the people in Englebart's group
then went to PARC later.

Take care,
John