[e2e] Question about fast path / slow path and IPv6

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Aug 31 14:56:55 PDT 2003

Sam, look at the Intel IXP2400/2800, the Vitesse IQ2200, the various IBM,
Motorola network processors, and even things like Astute Networks' processor.
Yes, many silicon startups failed, because, as with .coms, there were too
many, but some have completed excellent products and some successful vendors
(Intel, IBM, Motorola...) aren't even startups at all!

These run in Cisco & other gear now, and have been handling a full 4Gb/s of
Enet pkts per chip, doing IPv4 lookups, etc. for a couple of years now.  The
10Gb/s NPUs are delayed, due to market, but still being done.  In any case,
unlike our workstations, they dedicate upwards of 4 individual, independent
processors to handling incoming pkts from several different physical
interfaces.  Some applications in security actually do so much pkt processing,
they chain several NPUs in series -- Intruvert uses 4, iPolicy has up to 13,
etc.  Your SGI won't match that.

In fact, everyone writing about networking and protocols these days should
study what NPUs exist and what their architects have designed into them --
some were designed in university research, some as a result of corporate
research, or a combination, but all with regard to how best to handle the
things routers & switches have to do all day.

Now, they all have a system coprocessor for all the configuration and
management (IOS, SNMP...), something like a MIPS running VxWorks, etc.  If the
firmware designer has decided that anything goes on slow path, it goes onto an
NPU queue that the coprocessor sees.  How fast the coprocessor deals with
theis queue and requeues its results depends entirely on that part of the
system and its software, which is typically compiled from C/C++ and running at
a lower clock rate than the NPUs.  If you want an SGI as a slow path machine,
great.  If you don't need SNMP requests handled at OC768 line speed, then
maybe not, but in any case, the slow path will be slower than what is provided
by the true multiprocessor NPU associated with it in the system.

In any case, and this is important, there are no standards to determine what
pkts go onto queues serviced by the "slow path".  This is unfortunate, in the
same sense that there's no source & version control in the Internet in
general, but most of the folks writing the code are well outside the Internet
fold anyway.  The saving grace may be that vendors do license their
nonproprietary portions of system code from respectable network-software
vendors, like Level7, etc.

Alex