[e2e] is IP address portability next?

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Dec 5 11:57:51 PST 2003

>       particular Internet access port.  The string entered by typical users is
>       already independent of the network service provider.

Excepting maybe 20 million or so users (in the US) that have @aol.com
addresses, in addition to the others that have ISP-provided email
addresses. Given that most ISPs now prevent users from running MTAs and
that they enforce using a From address reflecting the ISP, most
non-technical residential users only have two choices: use their ISP
domain or use a webmail provider such as Yahoo or Hotmail.