[e2e] Re: Traffic Management in real networks

Matthew Roughan roughan at research.att.com
Tue Dec 30 07:10:04 PST 2003

Actually, we found that on real problems, with real IP traffic, and a
real network, the marginal gain using a multicommodity flow solution to
get the optimal routing was at best ~12%. That's comparing the optimal
solution with real traffic, rather than estimated which we use in the
OSPF technique. If one uses estimated traffic in both, with the errors
introduced thereby, the OSPF approach was somewhat better, as it was
more robust to those errors.

Now, that is not to say that one cannot design a robust multi-commodity
flow optimization approach that will do as well as OSPF weight
optimization, but we have shown fairly conclusively that there is only a
small possible gain one can make in doing so.

Have a look at
     "Traffic Engineering with Estimated Traffic Matrices",
         ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference 2003.
      http://www.research.att.com/~roughan/papers.html

and the references therein. There are some other practical advantages of
the approach, as listed in the paper (I won't go into details here).

Matt

P.S. note the emphasis on real networks and traffic. One can always
concoct pathological scenarios where OSPF approaches will do badly. The
question is how well they do in real, practical scenarios.