[e2e] wiretapping and charging

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 1 15:17:31 PST 2003

wrong model -

I WANT the feds to record all my traffic- then i can stop doing backup - i bet if they
outsource the storage beusiness properly, they can get a better deal than me

oh, but i want to prove that the y have strong partitioning of data by insisting on
occasional (random) retrievals to check they have my data right.

of course, they can bill me for that, but i can ask GCHQ, MOSSAD, NSA, , etc etc
and see who does the cheapest service

i dont see why intelligence agencies shouldnt be subject to free market forces just like
the rest of us.

In missive <5.2.0.9.2.20030131153651.03977c70 at 127.0.0.1>, "David P. Reed" typed:

 >>Recording user traffic would seem to be bad citizenship, and also a source
 >>of liability - if it got mishandled it could make the copier liable for
 >>whatever damages are caused.
 >>
 >>It's hard to believe that billing requires access to contents.   Billing
 >>should work even if end-to-end encrypted, one would think.
 >>
 >>Instead, one could require that the traffic be authenticated at the billing
 >>point - perhaps by wrapping it in IPSEC up to that point.
 >>
 >>At 10:22 AM 1/31/2003 -0500, ram.gopal at nokia.com wrote:
 >>>Greetings,
 >>>
 >>>For billing and other similar application,  network element (eg.,
 >>>routers)may need to duplicate user traffic
 >>>to such application.  But this seems  like  wiretapping and may not be
 >>>considered legal. Is there any technical
 >>>solution for this?
 >>>
 >>>Thanks in advance.
 >>>Regards
 >>>Ramg