[e2e] wiretapping and charging

=?gb2312?q?Jing=20Shen?= jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Sat Feb 1 20:12:34 PST 2003

to my understanding, wiretaping the network connection and record anything transferred is a requirement from ISP  who want to charge anything it want.
Network storage is value-added sevice provided by ISPs.
The problem is: how could we find a blanance point between service/charge and
the law.  Some government asks ISPs to block some sites absolutely, and ISPs
want to charge some content while ICPs charge realtime service. the possible
solution is filtering content,which is really difficult.
Jing Shen
 Jon Crowcroft <Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:wrong model -

I WANT the feds to record all my traffic- then i can stop doing backup - i bet if they
outsource the storage beusiness properly, they can get a better deal than me

oh, but i want to prove that the y have strong partitioning of data by insisting on
occasional (random) retrievals to check they have my data right.

of course, they can bill me for that, but i can ask GCHQ, MOSSAD, NSA, , etc etc
and see who does the cheapest service

i dont see why intelligence agencies shouldnt be subject to free market forces just like
the rest of us.

In missive <5.2.0.9.2.20030131153651.03977c70 at 127.0.0.1>, "David P. Reed" typed:

>>Recording user traffic would seem to be bad citizenship, and also a source
>>of liability - if it got mishandled it could make the copier liable for
>>whatever damages are caused.
>>
>>It's hard to believe that billing requires access to contents. Billing
>>should work even if end-to-end encrypted, one would think.
>>
>>Instead, one could require that the traffic be authenticated at the billing
>>point - perhaps by wrapping it in IPSEC up to that point.
>>
>>At 10:22 AM 1/31/2003 -0500, ram.gopal at nokia.com wrote:
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>For billing and other similar application, network element (eg.,
>>>routers)may need to duplicate user traffic
>>>to such application. But this seems like wiretapping and may not be
>>>considered legal. Is there any technical
>>>solution for this?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>Regards
>>>Ramg