AW: [e2e] Queue size of routers

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jan 17 17:38:02 PST 2003

I suspect it's more complicated than this, even.   Nobody should wants huge
buffering *in* the network, because that blows the control algorithms in
TCP up.  TCP-friendly congestion control needs packet drops (real or RED,
or ECN-simulated) in order to congestion control effectively.   Delaying
congestion control with too large buffers is a bad idea, because it causes
spreading traffic jams in the backbone.

When sum(ingress) > egress, it's important to  let the contending sources
know quickly, so they backoff quickly.   A big buffer will slow the time to
first dropped packet, thus delaying adaptation at the sources.

And of course the other problem with big buffers is that it really kills
traffic with real-time constraints.

The ideal state of the network is that every egress queue has between 0 and
1 packets in it nearly all the time.   If queues start having 10 or 20
packets in them as a stable state, that's really bad.