[e2e] on the need for more research in core networking

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 21 08:01:00 PST 2003

George Michaelson wrote:
> Loved the slides.
>
> But I think we need to encourage as much attention on process/management stuff
> as on technology.
>
> You touch on overlay networks, but both 6bone and multicast represent problems
> as well as solutions in some senses: transition 'away' from overlay to native
> is deeply painful sometimes, and there is a 'third party' issue in the tunnel
> which gets into the whole economic/greatest-good question about the converged
> (or lack of converged) interests in a loose confederation of competing
> parties. You can't make overlay go away, but you also have to cope with the
> goals of the overlay being orthogonal to interests underneath.

Although overlays began as a transition technology, it is becoming
clearer (at least within my project team) that they are part of a more
general extensions of the Internet architecture.

Joe