[e2e] on the need for more research in core networking

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Tue Jan 21 15:02:05 PST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:01:00 -0800 Joe Touch <touch at ISI.EDU> wrote:

> Although overlays began as a transition technology, it is becoming
> clearer (at least within my project team) that they are part of a more
> general extensions of the Internet architecture.
>
> Joe

I entirely agree. I think the slide from the network 'stack' to
'stackable networks' introduces a very nice abstraction, that you can soft
reconfigure any (apparent) n-way end-to-end configuration on top of any
other, for some cost in packet overhead, delay, etc.

Does it introduce much complexity in a router to hold two or more models of
network routing? is this the kind of thing virtual routers inside one crate
might address?

Actually, I think that might also point to the geographic
addressing model as having some usefulness as well: if we explicitly expect to
have to do layered networking, then we might as well make the underlying
address topology follow the beaurocracy. Another unpopular proposal for IPv6
dropped by the wayside...

cheers

	-George