[e2e] TCP Fragmentation

Kevin Lahey kml at selresearch.net
Mon Jan 27 14:55:55 PST 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:05:15 -0500
John Border <border at hns.com> wrote:

>     Is anyone aware of a TCP stack in use in the "real world" which does not
> set the "don't fragment" bit in the IP header?

PalmOS -- since some of the more recent Palm devices include 802.11b
interfaces, this could actually matter.  I noticed that the HP 4050
printer at work doesn't set it.  That seems a little less important,
as I don't expect the printer to create a whole lot of outbound traffic.

I'd be curious about things like wireless APs and home DSL/Cable
routers which have web interfaces.  It doesn't seem like the lack of
PMTUD would be a big issue for these devices.

Kevin
kml at selresearch.net