[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Injong Rhee rhee at eos.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 6 08:50:40 PDT 2003

Hi.

It is my understanding that in the environments where these protocols
(HSTCP, Scalable TCP, and FAST) are intended to operate -- fast (>1Gbps)
and long distance networks (>50ms) -- TCP friendliness is not a concern
since TCP cannot fully utilize the available network bandwidth. These
protocols try to overcome this under-utilization problem of TCP.
However, if we try to apply this to the general Internet environments
(as it is noted in the announcement by CalTech), I think there could be
some TCP-fairness issues.

Just another note to these types of protocols:

These protocols (HSTCP and Scalable TCP, not sure about FAST since its
spec is not available) assume AQM with a sufficiently large buffer space
at the bottleneck routers. Under drop-tail or small buffer situations,
they cannot guarantee fairness (Scalable TCP) or exhibit very slow
convergence to fairness (HSTCP) even among the flows of their own type.
I am working on a paper on this now. Will make it available soon.

The common assumption that these protocols make is that the networks are
fairly asynchronous causing more loss events for flows with larger
bandwidth shares; therefore, more aggressive MIMD CC would guarantee
fairness to their own flows. I am not sure whether this assumption can
still hold even when the buffer space is not as much as the bandwidth
and delay product. From what I hear from router manufacturers such as
cisco and juniper, the buffer space on the high speed routers in long
distance networks that span over continents (which might show RTT of 100
- 200 ms) could be less than 10-20% of B x D --  in fact, Tom Kelly
reports this lack of buffer space in his techreport. It says that the
connection between CERN, Geneva and Chicago (over 2.4Gbps and 120ms RTT)
can provide at most 9% of B x D. Under this environments, the high-speed
traffic causes a high degree of synchrony, forcing the networks to
behave like drop-tail, at least to the high bandwidth flows.

Injong Rhee
Computer Science Dept
North Carolina State Univ.
rhee at csc.ncsu.edu