[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Ibrahim Matta matta at cs.bu.edu
Fri Jun 6 09:59:12 PDT 2003

Injong Rhee wrote:
> Hi.
>
> It is my understanding that in the environments where these protocols
> (HSTCP, Scalable TCP, and FAST) are intended to operate -- fast (>1Gbps)
> and long distance networks (>50ms) -- TCP friendliness is not a concern
> since TCP cannot fully utilize the available network bandwidth. These
> protocols try to overcome this under-utilization problem of TCP.
> However, if we try to apply this to the general Internet environments
> (as it is noted in the announcement by CalTech), I think there could be
> some TCP-fairness issues.

It is possible to design more aggressive protocols
that are also TCP-friendly. E.g. see our
history-based SIMD proposal at

http://csr.bu.edu/simd/

A wider class is defined in:

http://www.cs.bu.edu/techreports/pdf/2002-027-spectrum-tcp-friendly.pdf

Best regards, ibrahim

Ibrahim Matta       Dept of Comp Sci, 111 Cummington St, MCS-271
matta at cs.bu.edu     Assoc Prof, Boston Univ., Boston, MA 02215
Tel: (617)358-1062, Fax: (617)353-6457, URL: www.cs.bu.edu/fac/matta/