[e2e] TCP un-friendly congestion control

Lisong Xu lxu2 at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Jun 7 14:37:24 PDT 2003

Hello, Constantine:

Just went through your paper
(http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~dovrolis/Papers/sobas.pdf), very interesting. But
I have a question about it.  Maybe I misunderstood something.

By my understanding, as long as the S > C*T_m (that is, the sending rate is
greater than the bandwidth-delay product), sooner or later, we will get
packet losses, no matter how big the capacity of the buffer (B_t) is.

For example, in case 2 ( C*T_m < S <= C*T_m + B_t)  in the appendix,
since S is greater than C*T_M, so there is a backlog. In the paper, the
backlog is S-C*T_m. But this is not true.

After one RTT, the backlog Q is S-C*T_m. But after another RTT, the Q is
2*(S-C*T_m). then 3*(S-C*T_m), ....., and finally, we will get packet
losses.

Thanks,

Lisong