[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

renjish at cc.hut.fi renjish at cc.hut.fi
Mon Mar 31 01:19:08 PST 2003

It must be too early to rule out the dominance of telcos. Interests in
WLAN,bróadband etc may not replace the wider mobile coverage provided by the
cellular technology. With the amount of investments and infrastructure required
plus the governmental regulations that exist in the cellular market, telcos and
the equipment vendors will definitely have a greater say and control. In the
coming days, this importance may not exist as it is now, but that again depends
on the games they play and future market dynamics.
   The implementation of new protocols could be faster in a mobile cellular
environmnet unlike the fixed Internet due to these very factors(one good case
where dictatorship helps). GSM being the dominant technology until now vs. CDMA
and with WCDMA "hopefully" following the same trend, you might avoid ending up
paying to Qualcomm for any changes.

All said and done, based on the number of research papers that have been
generated for this topic of TCP issues over wireless, I wonder, if the solution
eludes us or vice versa?

P at L