[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Hans Kruse kruse at ohio.edu
Mon Mar 31 14:30:50 PST 2003

Injong,

the problem here is the definition of "e2e".  Several others have
summarized the PILC work better than I could -- the short answer is that
you either contain the application within the carriers network (as you
imply below) _always_, or you allow at least some access to the Internet in
general.  The former is not really e2e unless you consider the
carrier-internal network as the entire information universe for the mobile
users.

What you cannot do is let your non-TCP, or modified TCP, flows exit into
the internet at large.  So,  if general e2e access to at least some of the
internet is the ultimate goal, you have to use proxies (which have limited
benefit in many cases) or engineer the link layer for TCP use (which is
what PILC advocates).

--On Monday, March 31, 2003 16:00 -0500 Injong Rhee <rhee at eos.ncsu.edu>
wrote:

> But in the absence of deployed solutions for link-layer or MAC protocol
> (it takes time carriers to update them after they put it so much money
> into the current infra), link-level solutions are really out of reach
> for application developers.
>
> Another point I want to make is that the servers are typically located
> within carrier's managed networks. In this case, the wired line problems
> are less likely and most of problems we experience are wireless line
> problems. In the case, some e2e can be a good alternative.
>
> Injong

Hans Kruse, Associate Professor
J. Warren McClure School of Communication Systems Management
Adjunct Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Ohio University, Athens, OH, 45701
740-593-4891 voice, 740-593-4889 fax