[e2e] Is a non-TCP solution dead?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Mon Mar 31 20:02:48 PST 2003

Panos, I suggest that you left out III -- "I & II are not relevant to end-end
transports.  All transports deserve the same quality datagram service from L3
and L2."  Why is TCP to be babied, but not UDP, or plain IP Continuation?  The
L3+ end points need have no knowledge of the links, nodes, proxies, whatever,
on a path.  The Internet, in fact, was designed without benefit of the
concepts of Layers 1 & 2.  All that was assumed was a "gateway" (poor name)
for routing packets via IP addresses.

Alex