[e2e] High Packet Loss and TCP

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Thu May 1 16:43:18 PDT 2003

Durga, let me mention some experience with some real products developed for
the network edge/interior, whether security & load balancing, or just simple
routing...

1) The devices used now, Network Processors, Fabric Switches & Traffic
Managers, allow firmware setting of a wide variety of policies:  priority
queuing, weighted dropping and other forms of flow control outbound (to the
few hundred-thousand flows at multi-Gb rates.

2) The device input paths allow for a variety of hardware/Layer2 flow control
(e.g., CSIX, SPI4.2, etc.).

So, congestion is observed locally (within a box, a rack, or within a site) in
a packet environment; and over MUXes on a metro ring, in a Sonet-like
environment.  This means that you can often acquire congestion info from such
devices within portions of any network path.  Service providers at the edge
have direct requirements to limit flows, because their connections to the
network core are more limited than the aggregate flows they might have to
send/receive for subscribers.

Because "rate limiting", "traffic shaping", or whatever other nice words are
used for "packet dropping", provide the only way edge folks currently have to
tell leaves in the net to slow down, this means that congestion exists at two
major spots:  edge services and core distribution (peering) points.  If you
were only to look at these places for congestion data, you'd do pretty well,
especially if you picked busy times for Inet traffic (e.g., daily cycles, or
as when the Monica Lewinsky report went out :).  I don't think simulations
will quite capture the reality of what goes on.  You might identify some spots
to examine and ask for data from various researchers, like the SLAC
"ping-around-the-world" folks (Cottrell...).

Alex