[e2e] Link Aggregation

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Tue May 13 08:18:10 PDT 2003

Order management is indeed a feature of available network processors used in
newer routers & similar forwarding devices.  Incoming pkts are, at the very
least, identified by source port (channel on a multiplexed port) and time
stamp, and will not be sent from an output queue (or queues) until all pkts
that had arrived before, with the same identifier, have been sent.  This was
common in the design of ASICs for routers and was carried on into network-
processor chips, either in hardware dedicated to order management (IBM,
Vitesse...), or firmware (Intel...).

IEEE link aggregation at Layer 2 (DLC), by the way, has been incorporated into
the design of single-chip switches/bridges, but brings with it some
interesting shortcomings.  One is that the IEEE standard did not allow
multiple paths (links) to be used for any one DLC association.  Thus, if one
has a system capable of filling more than one link's capacity to another
system, link aggregation does no good -- pkts between the two systems are
passed on one link only, as identified in the bridging table entry for the two
DLC ends.  Aggregation only helps when there's a mix of DLC associations.

Alex