[e2e] feedback mechanisms and network modelling.

=?gb2312?q?Jing=20Shen?= jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Wed May 14 06:25:36 PDT 2003

To me , TCP probe may be used to estimate available bandwidth and use that value for parameter setting. The difference may exist with affecting real traffic or not.

regards

alok <alok.dube at apara.com> wrote:
I dont not wish to "identify" the 1st congested point.

All I am saying is that in all possibilty, if one was to implement TCP probes and try to detect congestion, and then use this as a feedback to the source, the time taken for this feedback would be the same as time taken in a network where each router could signal back the source in case of congestion.

So how does TCP probe help?

so ECN/RED and TCP probes would give the same result?