[e2e] evolution of bandwidth as a term

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 15:15:29 PDT 2003

Precisely, John.  Furthermore, Sam Clemens (Twain's real, non-marketed
identifier) also had little good to say about the equivalent of marketing in
those days.  More recently "bandwidth" has been misappropriated to serve
marketing purposes, because it sounded more expert, more sexy (to those
ignorant of scientific purpose) -- in other words, made more $.  So, the
question really boils down to academics buying into being servants of
marketing, or just saying no.  :]

For myself, I continue to fail any student who doesn't learn to distinguish
"bandwidth" from 'bandwidth' and to do so in every oral/written opportunity,
which is my response to the sillyness of: "...how the meaning is currently
communicated".  {:o]

Alex