[e2e] evolution of bandwidth as a term

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 20:48:26 PDT 2003

"Semantic drift", "metaphor"...  Sounds like the good old '70s and the
insurgence of PC thinking.  When your Dr. discovers a malignant tumor in your
belly, you'll thank more than God for practical medical science's adherence to
strict meanings of technical terms.

Ted,

On "stifling metaphor and economy of expression" -- "bandwidth" is longer than
"bitrate".  What's economical about using the longer, incorrect term?  What's
economical about requiring the reader to take mental time out to decide which
meaning of the word you intend?  What's expressive about causing an educated
reader to sense from your misuse of an important term that the rest of what
you say may be bogus?

"Language is inherently ambiguous" is a straw man, and we all know that.
Ambiguity delays, even prevents communication, which is exactly opposite of
humankind's purpose in inventing communication forms.  Misusing a term for no
good scientific reason is ignorant or manipulative -- if the former,
forgivable and correctable; if the latter, inexcusable and simply bad manners,
especially to those new to the language or discipline.

I'm certain ISI teaches networking better than to lead students to believe:
"For a fixed protocol and transmission system, the two are usually directly
related, and therefore straightforward to interchange."  We have "usually" in
the sentence, for what purpose?  Perhaps to cover the raw fact that unforeseen
symbol choices at the transmission level easily make it false?  Perhaps
because the bandwidths of the relevant inter-layer communication paths have
little to do with interlayer bitrates?  Perhaps the student is actually never
told what Nyquist and Shannon meant, or what Baudot did?  The sentence you
supply shows precisely the damage to scientific discussion that misuse of just
the term "bandwidth" can bring to a table of discourse.

Alex