[e2e] evolution of bandwidth as a term

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Oct 3 10:16:15 PDT 2003

There's a difference between one word meaning different things in different
contexts (where there is no alternate), and using a word from another  context
instead of word(s)already available for discourse.  The latter is unnecessary
at the very least.

In fact, the example of "transport" is peculiar to no particular networking
level.  We may think of the OSI model's definition of Transport Layer, and if
we use "Transport", with a big T, then maybe it's clear we're talking of that
layer's activities, in any of several protocols.  But discussions using
"transport" in many specific communications paths may be legitimate, because
they perform the functions of a "transport" -- providing reliability, etc.
Terms like "link" are even more general, from common language, unlike
"bandwidth", so their multiple, sloppy uses are even less relevant to the
basic question of allowing misuse of well-defined scientific terms.

Alex