[e2e] narrow vs. wide bandwidth (hz)

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 7 11:19:27 PDT 2003

Michael, your metaphor of "bandwidth consumption" isn't really all bad.
Frequency allocations have indeed been thought of like land subdivision, as
David implies, and there's a finite amount of either.  Just as it's possible
to design an antenna to send multiple signals in the same band (e.g., via
polarization differences), it's possible to have multiple uses of frequency
bands, with particular bandwidths (I only use the Hz sense).  But, the key
here is again the signalling technique -- the symbology.  Once a particular
symbol set has been used in a band, that's it, until that use terminates.
CDMA and other energy-spreading techniques indeed appear to give multiple
usages of the same band, but any given coding sequence exhausts that use
within whatever area the signals can be detected -- "detected" means by all
posible means, including error correction.  This is one reason why cell phone
connections aren't always possible.

At any given instant, any system can be using the narrowest bandwidth to
transmit a symbol, which is good, since others can then use another part of
the band.  Hopping around by a coding technique doesn't preclude being
economical of bandwidth when each symbol is transmitted, even if symbols are
sometimes lost to random conflicts and perhaps reconstructed by error
correction.  This is one reason why the original idea of Ultra-Wideband (UWB)
Harmonics from Hell has been objected to, because it simultaneously interferes
with many bands, even if only over very short ranges.  If we were to walk into
a server-clogged data warehouse that uses true UWB and our cellphone with GPS
fails to work, we wouldn't like that.  So being economical of bandwidth is
good, whether on a symbol-by-symbol basis, or the traditional, continuous-wave
of radio & TV.  This is the interaction of symbol choices and data rates --
how much bandwidth is needed to allow transmission of the symbols that best
work with the medium (noise, interference, etc.) and the data encodings
available to provide the desired data rate.

Alex