[e2e] Token/slotted access based mechanisms

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed Oct 15 09:59:25 PDT 2003

Alok Dube wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am not sure if this is the right mailing list to ask this question
> (primarily I dont see any mailing list where these topics are discussed and
> this seemed the closest), but incase someone can point me to the correct
> mailing list/documents to lookup, it would be great.
>
> Consider a slotted access/token based access mechanism.
>
> Multiple nodes connect to the token based access mechanism.
>
> The total number of tokens/slots is finite..say X
>
> A node is given access to the slots based on say, its bandwidth requirements
> (i get 1 slot/tokens or 2 slots/tokens etc).
>
> Essentially X decides the sampling rate from the slot/token based "sampler"
> into the network/across the network.
>
> now is there any way that one can allocate "evenly spaced" slots to the
> data?
>
> It is more to the tune of, if a node needs 2 slots, it should get slots
> which are spaced apart by a distance of X/2, if a node needs 3 slots it
> should get slots spaced apart by X/3 etc... the "X" is variable and it can
> be decided in such a manner that all requirements fit into the need.(  I
> would call X the envelope size).
>
> Is there any work done somewhere in this direction?

A lot of this work happened in the late 1980's:

For tokens:
	token-passing bus (802.4)
	token ring (802.5)

For slotted access:
	DQDB - dual-queue dual bus (802.6)
	Cambridge ring (HP)
	Metaring

It might also relate to:
S. J. Golestani, "A Stop-and-Go Queueing Framework for Congestion
Management," In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 1990, pp. 8-18.

Joe