[e2e] Token/slotted access based mechanisms

Krishna Pattabhiraman Krishna at coriolisnet.com
Wed Oct 15 12:43:40 PDT 2003

Message: 2
From: "Alok Dube" <alok.dube at apara.com>
To: <end2end-interest at postel.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:32:27 +0530
Subject: [e2e] Token/slotted access based mechanisms

Hi folks,

I am not sure if this is the right mailing list to ask this question
(primarily I dont see any mailing list where these topics are discussed and
this seemed the closest), but incase someone can point me to the correct
mailing list/documents to lookup, it would be great.

Consider a slotted access/token based access mechanism.

Multiple nodes connect to the token based access mechanism.

The total number of tokens/slots is finite..say X

A node is given access to the slots based on say, its bandwidth requirements
(i get 1 slot/tokens or 2 slots/tokens etc).

Essentially X decides the sampling rate from the slot/token based "sampler"
into the network/across the network.

now is there any way that one can allocate "evenly spaced" slots to the
data?

It is more to the tune of, if a node needs 2 slots, it should get slots
which are spaced apart by a distance of X/2, if a node needs 3 slots it
should get slots spaced apart by X/3 etc... the "X" is variable and it can
be decided in such a manner that all requirements fit into the need.(  I
would call X the envelope size).

Is there any work done somewhere in this direction?

-thanks
Alok.

*********
Check this paper out for your problem .....
Thomas Rodeheffer and James B. Saxe. Smooth scheduling in a cell-based
switching network
<http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/SRC/research-reports/abstracts/src-rr-150
.html>. Research Report 150, Digital Systems Research Center, Palo Alto, CA,
February 1998.

/Krishna
Coriolis Networks
330 Codman Hill Road