[e2e] Open the floodgate

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Apr 20 09:34:26 PDT 2004

I understand how hard it is to get the press to provide technically
accurate interpretations, by painful experience.   They have the story
written when they interview you (e.g. after 9/11 I was asked to comment on
how the Internet "survived" because it was designed to survive a full-scale
nuclear war - despite the fact that this is not at all true of the *design*
- and only marginally true of the funding *justification*.   When I tried
to educate the interviewers, they lost interest really fast, and in some
cases found the "money quote" they were looking for from other sources who
were only to happy to get their name in the paper, in particular pundits
and executives from major network equipment suppliers).

Even some of the best reporters from the best papers have no interest in
providing useful contextual understanding.

The "faster, faster, faster" story, and the "young upstart triumphing over
the old radical turned establishment" stories are appealing to Yahoo's
semi-techie-user audience.