[e2e] Open the floodgate

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 23:29:39 PDT 2004

David,

Interesting that referrals to the poor security or performance designed into
the Internet by choice or omission leads to raising Il Duce (Mussolini) from
the dead.  So we just ignore the fantastic volume of undesired traffic on the
Internet because we're afraid of Mussolini-like discipline?  Being of Italian
descent, I recall relatives wanting to hang him, because he was a cheap
crackpot with a mistress, not quite the capable fellow you raise.  When we
talk personal discipline, let's think more on folks like Michelangelo,
Puccini, Da Vinci, etc., even on some non-Italians, who actually contributed
something many of us value.

And: "...slavish adherence to discipline can easily lead to failure".  So
undisciplined design doesn't?  Let's hope that you don't ever have to lie in a
misadjusted body scanner, or depend on a surgeon who takes a break to deposit
a paycheck.  Successful folks are quite disciplined in how they proceed,
though you may choose not to see it that way.  You need look no further than
NASA to see tragic results when disciplines are ignored.

The Internet's development has ignored many previously valued disciplines from
its start, like secure access and intelligent transport, but all these points
are in the archives, for this list at least.  They've all been raised as
sincere technical points that, in fact, have relatively easily testable
implementations.  Yet, you fly off into: '...has enabled a wide variety of
unanticipated innovations to emerge - most of which would not have emerged
from any "disciplined" process of the extreme sort that optimizes for the past
while marching backwards into the future.'  So the IETF developed the World
Wide Web (along with Al Gore)?  Not quite.  The IEEE does a pretty good job
though.

What does that impressive verbiage have to do with the fact that TCP has been
left ignorant of whether a packet was lost due to congestion or error? Is
"slavish discipline" the reason that 20 years after TCP was kludged to do
network congestion control, we still have an Internet transport that sees
'congestion' at every packet loss?  What does your rant against evil
discipline have to do with the painfully slow and often misdirected
'improvements' to IP addressing and such, as committed in IPv6, or the
mediocrity of IPSEC?

You aren't alone in being able to speak as an engineer and university
instructor, for whatever points that's worth, David.  But, the way The
Internet works, and doesn't work, speaks volumes about the casual approach to
its development and maintenance.  That's one point here.  Another point is
that reactions like yours serve a classic bureaucratic purpose -- maintain the
status quo by intimidating critics.  Ah, now is that why Mussolini is a
reference you identify with?  :]

Alex