[e2e] Open the floodgate

Sam Manthorpe sm at mirapoint.com
Thu Apr 22 01:37:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Cannara wrote:

> David,
>
> Interesting that referrals to the poor security or performance designed into
> the Internet by choice or omission leads to raising Il Duce (Mussolini) from
> the dead.  So we just ignore the fantastic volume of undesired traffic on the
> Internet because we're afraid of Mussolini-like discipline?  Being of Italian
> descent, I recall relatives wanting to hang him, because he was a cheap
> crackpot with a mistress, not quite the capable fellow you raise.  When we
> talk personal discipline, let's think more on folks like Michelangelo,
> Puccini, Da Vinci, etc.,

I thought that Da Vinci was a total hacker?  I'm not sure that his
helicopter plans would pass as a disciplined engineering approach
to design, even at the IETF :-).

time-to-market (or deployment) wins.  Seems to me that discipline comes
later, after the innovation and deployment.  We are still to this day
driving vehicles that burn fossil fuels, which is a bad design choice
IMO, but there are a lot of very disciplined engineers focused on
implementing that design choice today.

Cheers,
-- Sam