[e2e] Open the floodgate

Theo Pagtzis t.pagtzis at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 22 03:37:56 PDT 2004

Hi all,

after seeing with interest responses from jon, alex, bob, david et al, I
feel obliged to voice aloud a thought.

For all intents and purposes, engineering (and its output) follows the
behaviour of an evolutionary process. To stick around control systems, I
would like to take the example of a predictor-corrector process since
IMHO that represents to me what I see as "evolutionary reality".

Starting from 'nothing' we predict that we want and eventually achieve
'something' (which was a lot better than that 'nothing'). As we go along
  our usage, investigation, imagination and advertising provides a
'corrector' sample to align this 'something' to the next available state
which is 'something better'. By this time our specification or the
original expectations and targets have _already_ changed! It would be
thus a mistake to judge an initial solution as incomplete/bad/whatever
since it achieved what it was _originally_ designed for (say, TCP:
purpose --> congestion collapse).

Thus, one can see that there exists _no_ all-encompasing solution in
engineering that can be achieved in one go! The reason for it is that
since solution is tracked by specifications and specifications is
tracked by our current state of knowledge on what we consider as
'manifestation of the problem'. The solution, thus, reflects the best
effort (another one) to the best of our knowledge towards THAT
manifestation of the term semantics of the word 'problem' .

IMHO discipline is required in achieving an 'optimal' solution that fits
realistic assumptions and adhere to specs. The problem is that the
realism of the assumption is bound by the state of the current
manifestation (known info about it) of the 'problem', irrespective how
'complete' (this is definetely NP-complete) this state is; in other
words welcome to he famous Godel theorem of incompleteness.

Now there is a distinction between discipline in solving a problem to
spec (fixed) and solving the problem for a constantly evolving spec
(desired). A nice example is the one that the constituency of the list
brought up..limitations of TCP..

 From the above a corrolary comes in mind: "Irrespective of how
disciplined is the solution of the problem, the solution by itself will
generate new input that will augment the information space about the
problem (i.e. new aspects of the problem). Hence one will never - in
absolute terms - solve the problem BUT evolve it!"

In other words "solutions point to the evolution of 'problem' as a
necessary and sufficient condition". From that perspective I welcome
every new ray of light that shows me the evolutionary path (in whatever
direction  solution --> problem  \/  problem --> solution).

my 2p
t.

will always influence

--