[e2e] Open the floodgate

Rick Jones raj at cup.hp.com
Thu Apr 22 13:51:29 PDT 2004

I'm sure I'll come to regret this, given I don't have an historical score card
with which to tell the players and their old scores but...

...in the context of TCP VJ congestion control, wasn't one of the stated
assumptions that networks didn't have much in the way of error rates in them
other than drops resulting from congestion?

That being the case, seems the mechanisms did sufficiently well.

Now it seems there are things changing the preconditions - wireless and I
suppose really really really high-speed links. (have bitrates increased faster
than the exponents on the bit error rates?)

So sure, take something out of the environment in which it was conceived and it
may not do well and may indeed need some work, but I'm not sure that is cause to
denigrate it so seemingly completely.

rick jones
in the beginning the net was simple and pure, then came the world-wide-web
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...