[e2e] Looking for measurement hosts

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Sun Aug 29 06:40:06 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 01:15:02AM -0400, Charles Shen scribed:
> Dear all,
>
> We are working on a measurement project to determine route change by delay
> changes. We need some remote hosts to participate in the measurement. If you
> are able to provide a remote host account, please kindly let me know.
> (Although Planetlab could be a choice, it seems to be sufficiently
> overloaded to make such measurement difficult).

  If your traffic and CPU demands are low, then I'd encourage you
to use the RON testbed, available through Emulab. I'm trying to maintain
a "measurement-friendly" environment through aggressive up-front
admission control to prevent sigcomm deadline meltdowns, and so far
it seems to be working.

  see http://www.emulab.net/

The policies for use of the widearea nodes are at:

  http://www.emulab.net/docwrapper.php3?docname=widearea.html

You'll need to send us a description of the experiments you want
to perform -- basically, how much bandwidth, how often, how long?
and then .. go to town with your measurements. :)

One caveat:  Emulab is having a three-day downtime starting this
afternoon (!) while the university of utah does some major power
re-wiring for their building.  So.. some patience may be required.
The RON testbed nodes will be up, but we won't be able to create
new accounts for you.

Best way to get access is to have a PI-type person create a new
project (which needs to be approved), and then you can autonomously create
accounts for your students/staff.

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/