[e2e] Looking for measurement hosts

Matthew J Zekauskas matt at internet2.edu
Sun Aug 29 08:03:30 PDT 2004

For what it's worth, there are at least two latency measurement
infrastructures deployed in research networks here in the US
(and a bit abroad).

Internet2 has OWAMP ( http://e2epi.internet2.edu/owamp/ ) nodes
deployed at all of the Abilene router nodes, which you are free
to test to.  The limitation is that since they are within the
Abilene backbone, they are not reachable from the commodity
Internet (but are reachable from Universities and Labs around
the world).

NLANR MNA has AMP, which is also mostly deployed at R&E sites,
although since they are at universities, they ought to be reachable
from the commodity Internet.  See http://mna.nlanr.net/amp/ .

Outside the US, the RIPE Test-Traffic infrastructure has some
deployment (http://www.ripe.net/test-traffic/ ).

None of these will probably be excited about running any code
that you develop, however.

You are probably aware of the other two projects collecting
similar data, but Just In Case: The PingER project
<http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/pinger/>
has been capturing RTTs for sites all over the world for many
years (since 1996?), although it is focused on sites that are
interested in High-Energy Physics data.  CAIDA's skitter
project <http://www.caida.org/tools/measurement/skitter/>
has been probing many sites all over the world for almost as long.
I believe you can request some skitter data to support
an active research project.

If running code within the Abilene backbone is useful to you,
and for some reason the local Planetlab nodes are not good
enough (they have nodes at all Abilene backbone sites too),
let me know, and I'll see if running your code is a possibility.

As a final plug: the Abilene Observatory has a program that
will allow researchers both access to our data and the
possibility of adding your own equipment at Abilene nodes.
See <http://abilene.internet2.edu/observatory/> .

--Matt