[e2e] Is this a bug with Windows TCP Stack ?

sanjay kaniyar skaniyar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 21:50:02 PST 2004

Winsock API has subtle semantics, I am not totally sure but something like
this could result in the observed trace:

- IIS does send
- does Shutdown(SD_SEND) -> data and FIN go out.
- setsockopt(Linger = OFF)
- closesocket		-> RST goes out.

But I don't want to spread speculation - I got someone here at Microsoft to
run a test which does the following with IIS 6.0:

- client establishes a connection, sends a get request
- server sends a response and closes the connection -> Data and FIN go out
- FIN gets acked.
 <no RST is seen>

So, I would think there is something specific to the setup. If Goutham can
send the details (and the test application if possible), we can take a
closer look.

Thanks,
Sanjay