[e2e] Enough!

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Thu Jan 15 15:45:53 PST 2004

> Of the dozens of mailing lists to which I'm subscribed, this is the *only*
> list that allows non-subscribers to post with impunity.  And it's the only
> list on which I receive any significant spam.
>
> To whoever runs this list: I'm tired of the lame excuses.  Don't try to
> deny it - you know what needs to be done.  Now, just do it - please!

Like Ross, of all the mailing lists I'm on, end2end-interest is the only
list that doesn't enforce a subscriber-only restriction, and it plainly
shows in the amount of spam the list receives.

The archive clearly shows what is happening to the list.  A trickle that
began in the spring turned into a stream in the summer and has flooded
the list this winter.  Is the value of non-subscriber postings as great
as the cost of incurring more and more spam?  I think not.

The FAQ says:

   Will you change these policies?

   Of course. The configuration of these lists, and the policies by which
   they are operated, are always under review.

It goes on to say that "list configuration is determined for the best
interest of the list, based on the list's purpose, and in discussion with
the list owner/originator."

The best interest of the list are not being served.  It really is past time
to act.  Mailman will capture non-subscriber posts and forward them to
the list administrator.  The administrator can then forward them on to the
list.  That seems a simple enough solution that ought to satisfy everyone's
requirements.