No subject

Thu Mar 25 11:59:21 PST 2004

Ken Poulton [poulton at labs.agilent.com] a Palo Alto CA fiber
activist, responds to my query in SMART Letter #52 about whether
1 Gbyte per month is a reasonable throughput budget:

  "My e-mail record on my at-work system says:
   0.04 GBytes/month last year in personally-handled mail
   0.02 GBytes/month in unique weather data messages
   (sent hourly to Bay Area windsurfers)
   1.50 GBytes/month when you count the 400 weather
   subscribers

  "My home Unix system (used as a remote work terminal):
   1.9 GBytes/month

  "So even these rather heavy corner-case uses are only a
   few GBytes per month.  Most users would be hard-
   pressed to get to a GByte/month until they turned on
   streaming video or Internet radio stations. Those
   could get your usage up to around 10-20 GByte/month at
   24 hours/day.

  "In the Palo Alto Fiber to the Home Trial, we
   considered a service that would be limited to 1
   GByte/month.  I continue to believe this is a
   perfectly reasonable way to operate, but I can tell
   you from experience that it's a hard sell to consumers
   when you're offering a 100 Mbit/s pipe that can (in
   principle) use up your month's quota in 80 seconds.

  "For starters, we settled on an unlimited service that
   is 100 Mbit/s to the hub, but uses a shared 10 Mbit/s
   connection to the Internet.  Locally-served services,
   such as video-on-demand, can make good use of the
   local 100 Mbit/s, but Internet access (where the BW
   gets expensive) will be limited. We have not turned on
   the system yet, so we can't tell how it will work out
   yet.

  "The problem is non-trivial: $100/month only pays for a
   *continuous* usage of about 100 kbit/s.  You can get a
   *lot* of benefit from peak rates of 100 Mbit/s, but
   you have to deal with the people who will suck you dry
   with a server farm if you let them.

  "A pay-per-GByte system (like 1 GByte free, $100/GByte
   thereafter) will never ding most people, and charge
   big users appropriately. But it makes consumers
   (justifiably) nervous. What if you get a $1300 bill
   when your son leaves on the Internet radio 24 hours a
   day for a month? Simply cutting people off doesn't
   work either.

  "What I think is needed is to allow consumers to choose
   full speed access up to 1 GB/month, and then throttled
   BW after that. Your connection may get slow, but
   doesn't die.  And you don't get a huge bill by
   surprise.  I suspect this will need special support in
   the routers or some kind of special billing box.
   Anyone care to support this in their routers?"
--
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs