No subject

Thu Mar 25 11:59:21 PST 2004

3) delay variations that can not be handled by jitter buffer thusly sized
are packet losses.

Audible effects are caused by correlations of packet losses. Modern codecs
typically can handle single packet losses.

This argument suggests that the size of jitter buffer size depends on the
usage scenario.

As for measurements, ETSI EP TIPHON has standardized a measurement method
designed for VoIP and other periodic real-time streams. IETF is still
considering whether a similar method would be a good idea. The underlying
idea in this kind of measurement is to emulate VoIP media stream as to
packet sizes and packet transmission intervals.

 -- Vilho