[tcpm] Re: [e2e] Are you interested in TOEs and related issues (Resend)

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Mar 9 15:29:39 PST 2004

As the network gets faster, the user perceived performance issue moves into
the application layer, except for the special case of remoting bulk disk
drive accesses.   There is a small "opportunity window" of app requirements
where the TCP layer is the crucial issue for performance.

It's easy to get focused on unrealistic benchmark cases that ignore the
complexity of app logic, and the power of general purpose computing
architectures that can dynamically partition workload rather than
statically partitioning function into boxes.

I wouldn't waste my time on TOEs.  There are more useful things to work on,
like making end-to-end secure and resilient communications practical.