[tcpm] Re: [e2e] Are you interested in TOEs and related issues (Resend)

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Mar 10 06:55:18 PST 2004

At 06:29 PM 3/9/2004, David P. Reed wrote:
>I wouldn't waste my time on TOEs.  There are more useful things to work
>on, like making end-to-end secure and resilient communications practical.

To clarify this, if it seems like a non-sequitur or change in topic,
remember that offloading TCP into a separate box locks in any security
flaws into the architectural structure you had to create to make it
happen.  In practice, this means that no one will have the energy or money
to fix the security and resiliency issues in such solutions - which means
more kludges in wrap-around devices and interceptors that create the false
illusion of security.

Communications networking is a systems problem, and ignoring the systems
issues by focusing on a narrow problem space is not a good investment of
effort.