[e2e] Open the floodgate

Mark Allman mallman at icir.org
Tue May 4 19:57:30 PDT 2004

I am way behind on this thread, so sorry for the late reply.  But, I
wanted to note one thing ...

> ...but politics seems in control.  So, we're left with something
> called TCP which attempts network-layer congestion amelioration
> without any info from that layer.  Note, for instance, that a TCP
> sender can't even tell if it timed out and retransmitted too quickly,
> even when it gets 2 ACKs for the same data from the receiver -- a loss
> is still counted.

Actually, determining whether an RTO (or fast retransmit) is spurious or
not and reacting more appropriately has been tackled by folks in the
research and standards communities over the last few years.  See the
DSACK RFC, the Eifel papers/RFCs, the F-RTO papers/internet-drafts,
etc.  I know we should have done this a very long time ago, but those of
us with skin in the game understand that it takes more effort to do than
to critique.

allman

--
Mark Allman -- ICIR -- http://www.icir.org/mallman/