[e2e] was double blind, now reproduceable results

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu May 20 09:08:08 PDT 2004

Jonathan Stone wrote:

> In message <6.0.1.1.2.20040519194147.05b61bc8 at 127.0.0.1>"David P. Reed" writes
>
>>At 04:11 PM 5/19/2004, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
>>
>>>well this doesnt argue that we should publish part of the experiment,
>>>but even more strongly then that a unique observation should be
>>>captured more completely.
>

>>I don't disagree with making all the data available, and that is almost
>>always possible, even where reproducibility is hard.
>
> With the notable exception of whole-payload packet traces.  If you can
> get permission to collect them at all, its well-nigh impossible to
> redistribute them. For obvious and excellent reasons.

It ought to be possible in those cases - if not required - to provide
reasonable access to run second-party tests to confirm results.

Anything short of that ought not be published, for obvious and excellent
reasons as well - except, by definition, in the Journal of
Irreproducable Results. ;-)

Joe