[e2e] was double blind, now reproduceable results

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 20 09:34:40 PDT 2004

I completely agree with your message here

so 2 things prompted me to write the original note

1/ a message from a HCI person in a UK university who was bemanig problems of a similar nature and

2/an experience we had around 4 years backwitha 1st yr phd student who was (is) very very good and tried to work on
TCP on Diff Serve - as an excercise, we took around 100 papers (there are a lot more) that had simulated TCP variants
on diffserve variants and tried simply to udnerstand them by running the (almost all) ns code that they provided
for their TCP or their DIffserve router/queue manager algorithm,
tyogether with as much as we could work out of the script and config and analysis that they almost all did not provide.

from memory, the dfference in results were explained roughly as this:
in about 40 cases, the results could not (initially) be reproduced at all - on close examination,
in about 15 cases, one could get the same results if one took the 1st run ONLY of the simulation
(didnt any of them read Raj Jain's book?)
in some cases they were running a buggy variant of a TCP (actually I only found this out for a few cases when someone
else shared a simiular experience ,and said they had found the bug that was caused by failing to bind
a tcl variable to the C one, so when tracing the tcl variable and plotting it, effectively random plots were
generated:-) lets just say the variable might or might not have been cwnd
in some cases there wasnt an explanation that could easily be found

so notice this argues possibly AGAINST sharing code with papers as well as FOR it - along the lines of Ross Andersons
results recently (and others) Suggesting that reporting of exploits on open source, and keeping secret exploits on
proprietaryt source are about as effective statisticallt as preventing further problems:-)

the above ns/tcp/diffserve example is probably made up to illustrate this argument isnt simple, but it could also be
true -

In missive <20040520152621.GD13154 at lcs.mit.edu>, "David G. Andersen" typed:

 cheers

   jon