[e2e] was double blind, now reproduceable results

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat May 22 04:30:10 PDT 2004

so I just checked with a few medical editors, and you are only partially right, and then only
for the US

see
http://www.cochrane.org/
for a major effort to do things right internationally in general,
but even right now, in the EU, there are conventions for ANY clinical
trial publication where all the data and methods must be auditable by any approoved medical
research group -

In missive <6.0.1.1.2.20040520091941.05bf89d8 at 127.0.0.1>, "David P. Reed" typed:

 >>At 01:44 AM 5/20/2004, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
 >>>look, if the medical world, with all the finanical and ethical pressures
 >>>on them
 >>>can manage with this problemm (esp. viz genomics, protemics, patent
 >>>fights, patient privacy, and
 >>>pharma indutry), then we are pretty sad if we can't figure it out
 >>
 >>The medical world has not figured this out.   In discussions with
 >>colleagues, there are lots of points where data is withheld and techniques
 >>are withheld from researchers who would like to reproduce results.   They
 >>are struggling with tough issues as well, plus new issues (such as
 >>professors and patent law extremists who are working to build case law that
 >>research use of patented ideas can be blocked - the whole idea of a
 >>"research exception" is being systematically attacked by the patent bar in
 >>areas of medicine).
 >>
 >>At least in our arena, we have been building a movement toward open source,
 >>open ideas, etc. (one that I am proud to be a member of).   There is little
 >>of that in biomedical science today.

 cheers

   jon