[e2e] was double blind, now reproduceable results

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 27 23:44:50 PDT 2004

thanks for this - very useful reference, and of course as well as
privacy concerns, as david reed points out, there are patent warfare
concerns too - we just had a nice talk by hal abelson here about the
MIT ideas in open courseware and in Dspace, that led to the creative commons
ideas for how to have a more flexible aprpoach to things, and I think
that while that might address IPR worries about background nicely and
attribution and exploitation, it didnt really cover privacy that
well...a hard problem, (and as i said one which at least the eu
medical world has coped with remarkably well) without losing compelte
siight of the value of having all the data available to liegitimate
other researchers to further all our knowledge...

but i would like to ask: how relevant is this to 99% of computign and
communications research? frankly, I have only twice ever had to be
careful about data in papers, and eventually (one case in 3 weeks once
patent was filed, the case in about 3 years when the currency of the
network monitoring data was no longer a threat to the operator if it
was in competitors hands) we could release all the information and
code associated with the paper...

personally, i think that in our business (whatever it is)
legititmate reasons to withold data and methods that would allow
someone to reproduce our work, will be the exception rtaher than the
rule, and that we should make use of something like Dspace or other
Archiv repositories to maximise knowledge rather than arguing about
the occasional reasons (at least here) not to...

i mean lets take a sample of the lsat 20 year sigcomm papers - how
many of them could we confirm, and how many if we cannot confirm them,
could we come up with a decent excuse for why not?

In missive <p06100503bcda9a14f368@[18.26.0.27]>, "Karen R. Sollins" typed: