[e2e] Admission Control and Policing in MPLS

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Sun Nov 7 08:16:36 PST 2004

On Nov 6, 2004, at 18:17, Ping Pan wrote:
> Since the beginning of commercial data networking, carrier's business
> model has been selling guaranteed bandwidth to individual users. Much
> of the telecom operation has been built around this model (accounting,
> planning, restoration, OAM...). And this is not likely to change in
> the near future, even when you have GigE all over the place. Thus,
> per-flow, per-customer, per-call, per-whatever policing will still be
> in place at edge. However, this does not impact how e2e applications
> suppose to work - long live TCP. ;-)

In several Asian and Nordic countries, several different
telecommunications
carriers are offering "best effort" services (NOT guaranteed bandwidth)
to their
end-users over their GigE links.  So there is some evidence that the
historic
"guaranteed bandwidth" model already has changed in some parts of the
world for some firms.

And I would guess that you and I have slightly different defintions for
"data networking".  For services like Frame Relay, your description of
history is correct. For IP services that ISPs offer (e.g. UUnet,
Sprint.net),
those services have always been "best effort" not "guaranteed
bandwidth".
Depending on one's viewpoint, IP services might be part of "commercial
data networking" -- certainly I would consider best-effort-only IP
services
to be part of "commercial data networking" at least since the advent of
UUnet
(roughly 15 years ago now).

Ran
rja at extremenetworks.com