[e2e] Admission Control and Policing in MPLS

weigengyu weigengyu at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 23:22:00 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "RJ Atkinson" <rja at extremenetworks.com>
To: "Ping Pan" <pingpan at cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: "end-to-end list" <end2end-interest at postel.org>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: [e2e] Admission Control and Policing in MPLS

> In several Asian and Nordic countries, several different
> telecommunications
> carriers are offering "best effort" services (NOT guaranteed bandwidth)
> to their
> end-users over their GigE links.  So there is some evidence that the
> historic
> "guaranteed bandwidth" model already has changed in some parts of the
> world for some firms.

I would like to tell you a fact here. A telecom carrier build another IP based network
dedicated to some basic service, like voice, video.
Because the first IP based network always congested and cannot provide QoS needed
although they  increased capacity.

> And I would guess that you and I have slightly different defintions for
> "data networking".  For services like Frame Relay, your description of
> history is correct. For IP services that ISPs offer (e.g. UUnet,
> Sprint.net),
> those services have always been "best effort" not "guaranteed
> bandwidth".
> Depending on one's viewpoint, IP services might be part of "commercial
> data networking" -- certainly I would consider best-effort-only IP
> services
> to be part of "commercial data networking" at least since the advent of
> UUnet
> (roughly 15 years ago now).
>
> Ran
> rja at extremenetworks.com

Guaranteed services are the most concern problems by telcom carriers
since they are deploying  SLA (Service Level Aggreement).

Gengyu WEI