[e2e] Internet path dynamics

Olivier Bonaventure Bonaventure at info.ucl.ac.be
Sun Nov 7 13:17:25 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 16:46, Marcel Waldvogel wrote:
> Dmitri,
>
> the ones I know are due to personal communications and seem to be based
> on informal sources or close personal contacts with ISPs. As such, there
> is really nothing public I can point you to, sorry.

I know at least two interesting studies of the stability of IGPs :

@inproceedings{infocom04MIBCD:2004,
  author	= {Markopoulou, A. and Iannaccone, G. and Bhattacharyya, S. and
Chuah, C. and Diot, C.},
  title		= {Characterization of Failures in an {IP} Backbone},
  booktitle	= {IEEE Infocom2004},
  address	= {Hong Kong},
  month		= {March},
  year		= {2004}
}

@inproceedings{Shaikh_Case:2002,
 author = {Aman Shaikh and Chris Isett and Albert Greenberg and Matthew
Roughan and Joel Gottlieb},
 title = {A case study of OSPF behavior in a large enterprise network},
 booktitle = {Proceedings of the second ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Internet
measurment},
 year = 2002,
 isbn = {1-58113-603-X},
 pages = {217--230},
 location = {Marseille, France},
 doi = {http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/637201.637236},
 publisher = {ACM Press}
 }

@inproceedings{Watson_OSPF:2003,
 author = {D. Watson and F. Jahanian and C. Labovitz},
 title = {Experiences With Monitoring OSPF on a Regional Service
Provider Network},
 booktitle = {Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on
Distributed Computing Systems},
 year = {2003},
 isbn = {0-7695-1920-2},
 pages = {204},
 publisher = {IEEE Computer Society},
 }

For those running a network with ISIS, we have developped a set of perl
scripts that allows to easily monitor the stability of the IGP inside
the network. We used it for several ISP networks, but haven't published
any results due to NDA issues. See
http://totem.info.ucl.ac.be/tools.html
for LISIS

Best regards,