[e2e] MRTG data at Berkeley

qiw3 at lehigh.edu qiw3 at lehigh.edu
Thu Oct 14 02:14:05 PDT 2004

It is truly wonderful to receive so many helps within few hours of my request.
Special thanks go to Bill, Randy, Mark, Alex, and Ken!!!  I will discuss with
Ken offlist.

Some information on my project:
I am working on an available bandwidth measurement tool using active probing.
Our tool is called FEAT (FishEye Available bandwidth Tool). It is similar to
pathChirp [Ribeiro 2003] in a sense that FEAT sends a probe stream covering a
range of packet rate. However, the stream pattern in FEAT is different and
a “fisheye” effect of the packet stream should improve the measurement
accuracy (to be tested on Internet paths). FEAT is a part of AwareWare
middleware (https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/servlet/showaward?award=0438300) I
proposed in my dissertation research.

To test FEAT on real Internet, I follow the MRTG test method discussed in
spruce [Strauss 2003]. I test the tool from one machine at Berkeley to another
machine at Lehigh, and record the measured end-to-end available bandwidth. In
order to check our measured results against the “true values”, MRTG validation
requires access to MRTG raw data from *all links* of a path, and the capacity
of each link. The end-to-end available bandwidth is calculated as the minimum
of (capacity – cross traffic) of all links along the path. Although 5 minutes
resolution is low, the MRTG data so far is the most accurate way to validate
the output of an avi-bw tool.

The path (16 hops) from Lehigh to Berkeley goes from Lehigh campus network ->
magpi.net->Abilene->cenic->Berkeley campus (the result from traceroute). If I
can collect MRTG data for Berkeley campus, there are still few links missing,
especially one link from Lehigh to magpi backbone, the link from magpi
backbone to Abilene backbone, and 3 links on cenic. Although these missing
links are all 1G capacities, they should have less or no impact on final avi-
bw calculation, until checked carefully, I am not at ease to draw conclusions.

Available bandwidth measurement should be an interesting topic for the end2end
community. From my experience, the difficult (and time consuming) thing for
tool validation on real Internet is to find appropriate remote hosts and
collect “true value” data (e.g. MRTG data). It may need a large collaboration
in our community. Any one try to discuss this on PAM 2005
(http://www.pam2005.org/)?

[Ribeiro 2003] V. Ribeiro, R. Riedi, R. Baraniuk, J. Navratil, and L.
Cottrell. pathChirp: Efficient available bandwidth estimation for network
paths. In Passive and Active Measurement Workshop, (April 2003).

[Strauss 2003] Jacob Strauss, Dina Katabi, Frans Kaashoek. A measurement study
of available bandwidth estimation tools. In Proceedings of the 2003 ACM
SIGCOMM conference on Internet measurement, pp. 39-44, USA , Oct. 27 - 29,
2003.

Thanks,

Qiang Wang

Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
Lehigh University