[e2e] Network level qos support for web services

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Sun Oct 17 17:38:46 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:44:58PM -0700, Christian Huitema scribed:

> QOS is not the only possible response in the "in between" state. If the
> network has "almost enough capacity", one can generally redesign the
> application to consume slightly less resource, e.g. use more
> compression. If the application is valuable, there will be incentives to
> increase the network capacity so it will always work.
>
> The "in between" case is a transient state, and the domain of
> applicability of QOS solutions is very narrow.

  Except, perhaps, as a simple priority scheme at the end-user's
border router, which _is_ often congested, but has sufficient capacity
for the important thing.

  But this isn't a complex, high-falutin', sigcomm-worthy QoS.
It's a rule or two that says "please prioritize my VOIP calls
over my kazaa download, please."  These latter rules can make
a very big difference in end-user happiness---I experience
it frequently, sharing my bandwidth with a measurement node and
two network-using housemates.  But one dummynet statement is generally
enough to make all of our QoS problems go away.

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/